Deadly Pedestrian Myths
Deadly Pedestrian MythsTRUE OR FALSE?
Pedestrians always have the right of way.
FALSE: Only under certain limited conditions does a pedestrian have the right of way.
Pedestrians are safe in the crosswalk
FALSE: You may be legally safe, but physically in danger.”
How to Safely Cross the Street
- Crosswalks and walk signs don’t guarantee that you can step off the curb safely. That walk sign is just an invitation to begin thinking about crossing the street.
- Even when you have that walk sign, let your senses protect you. Don’t talk on your cell phone, and stop any other conversations.
- Don’t step off the curb until you are sure the intersection has cleared and all cars have come to a complete stop.
- Make eye contact with drivers to confirm that they see you.
- Check if any vehicle is going to make a right turn on red.
- And then, once you are in the crosswalk, get to the other side of the intersection as fast as possible